When Should I Get my Tan?
We recommend 1 – 2 days prior to your event. It really is a personal choice as it doesn’t make a huge difference in the results of the tan. But please note all rapid tans that are designed to be washed off in 2 – 4 hours still take a full 8-12 hours to fully develop.
What do I need to do to prepare my skin for a spray tan?
All waxing and shaving should be done at least 24 hours prior to your spray tan appointment to avoid any sensitivity, black dots or lines on legs.
If using a tan eraser product please use at least 24 hours prior as this can effect the PH of your skin and may turn the bronzer green.
Exfoliate at least 24 hours prior to your appointment and ensure all residue product used is thoroughly rinsed of the skin. The more exfoliated leading up to your appointment the better the tan will penetrate the skin therefore a better even result is achieved.
If you need to shower just before coming to your appointment do not use soap a products that contain Sodium Laurel Sulphate. Also do a final rinse in cool water to close your pores and do not shave just before your tan appointment or you risk lines on your legs.
What do I need to wear to my spray tan appointment?
Dark loose clothing is preferable but in saying that the bronzer washes off everything. Do not wear Lycra or silk straight after your spray tan as these fabrics can effect your tan. We can provide you with gstrings and hair nets if needed. If raining please ensure you wear long pants and top, shoes and socks and bring an umbrella.
I'm very very pale is that a problem?
That is not a problem at all in fact that makes our job very easy giving a pale person some colour.
Why is my skin looking green?
Don’t be alarmed! All deodorant must be removed prior to your spray tan even if applied hours earlier or your arm pits may turn green. This fades after a couple of showers but best to avoid when possible. Changes in the skins PH can also cause the spray tan to turn green, this may be caused by using a tan eraser product too close to your spray tan as this can effect the skins PH levels, but often its just because of sweat. It doesn’t turn your skin green its just the bronzer sprayed on you so after 2 – 3 showers the green will fade. So simply shower again. If any residue product is left on the skin i.e. ointments or lotions etc this will effect the tan and turn the area green so avoid where possible.
When do I wash my tan off?
Don’t be alarmed changes in the skins PH can cause the spray tan to turn green, this may also be caused by using a tan eraser product too close to your spray tan as this can effect the skins PH levels, But often its just because of sweat. It does not turn your skin green its just the bronzer sprayed on you so after 2 – 3 showers the green will fade. So simply shower again.
Is it safe to spray tan when pregnant?
Yes, the DHA which is the active ingredient that makes you brown does not penetrate the skin or enter the bloodstream. But we suggest if you are unsure please consult your doctor prior to your appointment. We also have face masks that you can wear to avoid any chance of inhaling the solution.
- Exfoliate your skin gently but thoroughly preferably 24 hours prior to your spray tan appointment. If done on the day of your appointment ensure you avoid any products just use a glove, mitt or loofah and gently massage to avoid any skin sensitivity and rinse your skin thoroughly to ensure its free from any product and end with a cool rinse off to close the pores. If you have old spray tan on, you should get as much of this off as possible while keeping your skin even in colour but do not use a tan remover the day of your spray tan this can effect your skins PH and turn the bronzer green.
- Do not apply moisturiser, perfume, oil, deodorant or anything else to your skin, the day of your appointment even if applied hours earlier. The bronzer will turn green.
- If Washing your hair before your spray tan, ensure you have rinsed cool water thoroughly down your back and body (including lower limbs) to ensure no residue shampoo lingers.
- All other beauty treatments should be enjoyed BEFORE your tan including Mani’s & Pedi’s, Massages and Waxing (24 hours prior for waxing!)
Post Tan Care
- Wear loose, dark clothes while your tan is developing. Thongs are best but wear runners and socks if raining.
- IF ITS RAINING when your appointment is due, wear clothes that cover you including long pants and long sleeve tops, a big jumper, ugg boots and of course a brolly.
- Your first shower after having your spray tan applied should be a quick rinse, only 30 – 60 seconds long. You should not use soap, body wash, shampoo or conditioner in this rinse. Your technician will let you when you should have your first shower. Use your hands to help guide the bronzers off particularly on lower limbs to avoid streaking.
- If you have had a rapid tan (showering within the first 2 – 5 hours) it is normal to look like most of the colour has gone. It is the bronzer that has disappeared, your tan will continue to develop up over the next 8 hours.
- Avoid excess sweating, exercise and swimming for the first 24 hours after having your tan applied.
- Moisturise with a water based lotion or cream after each shower to keep your glow a little longer! Avoid oils while maintaining your glow!
- Avoid long hot showers while you have your tan.
- Avoid extended soaking in water or hot showers.
- Pat yourself dry after swimming or showering.
Keep well hydrated internally and externally, a tan extender is recommended for prolonging the life of your tan.